Database Connection

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Gofer01, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Gofer01

Gofer01 Amateur Web Application Developer

'm having connection issues with Winhost database Server. When the web php install application asks for the datbase servers name I put in

• tcp:s02.Winhost.com
    • s02.Winhost.com

both times I'm getting a database server connection error. I triple checked the

• Database Servers Name
    • Database Name
    • Database Users Name
    • Database Password

What an I doing wrong?

[​IMG]

The database connection string is

"Data Source=tcp:s02.Winhost.com;Initial Catalog=DB_xxxx_store;User ID=DB_xxxx_store_user;Password=******;Integrated Security=False;"

http://qualityasp.com/store/install.php

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

I just checked our SQL server s02.Winhost.com and I did not find any evidence of any issues or disruptions. Are you still getting an error message when you try to connect to our SQL Server?

If you are trying running the SQLCMD command. Run this in your computer over the MS DOS prompt. This is the command line you will need to type.

sqlcmd -S s02.Winhost.com -U [db user login] -P [db password]

3. Gofer01

Look at the image all the way at the bottom in red. Thats the error message

4. Ray

Ray

Unfortunately even with the screenshot you provided I still do not have enough information to fully diagnose or analyze the situation. Like I said I checked the server and everything seems to be working fine. Furhtermore, I needed to know if you are still seeing the error message so I can look at the server more closely. Right now the way it stands even with your screenshot I'm feeling my way in the dark to find out whats wrong if any is going on with the server. It would also help if you can tell me what is the name of your database so I can also look at it more closely.

5. Gofer01

Thats the only error the web application is giving me. I can't advance forward or backwards. In the database server box the default server is localhost

6. Ray

Ray

Whats the databsae name? I'll go into the server and check more into it.

7. Gofer01

[​IMG]

The default setting for the database server is localhost I change it to tcp:s02.Winhost.com and s02.Winhost.com I sent the password to you in a private message

8. Ray

Ray

For the table prefix you have it set for asc_. Try leaving it blank.

You said that this is a PHP application. Can you double check how the PHP connection string is setup as?

I doubt it would be like the ones we have given you as an example.

9. Gofer01

I tried what you suggested. Same error resaults.

10. Gofer01

Will work on this later I have to go 95 miles to a High School to Umpire 2 Junior Varisy Softball games.

Ray thanks for you fast professional support.

11. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

Do you know which PHP driver is the application using? I don't believe we have the native PHP MS SQL driver installed.

12. That cart's requirements do not list MS SQL as an option...

Web server should support MySQL version 4.0.2 or higher. You will need to have access to the MySQL database, including these details: MySQL server name, database name, username and password for MySQL access;

That could have something to do with it.

13. Gofer01

So does this IIS 7.0 Web server that I'm renting has a MySQL Server. If so how do we create a MySQL database? At the vendor web site for the shopping cart. I will get info if the application will connect to a SQL Server database

14. Ray

Ray

No we don't. I'm afraid that we do not offer MySQL we only offer and support SQL 2008.

15. Gofer01

As a business decission might want to lease or purchase a MySQL Server.

I said this before your business is the second cheapest web hosting company based on the services that you offer. The shopping Cart that I'm trying to install is a free version of a professional version that is pretty good based on the cost and the quality of services this php program has to offer.

If you get a MySQL Server and offer your potental costomers a free shopping cart and have the opertunity of selling a upgrade to the professional edition. Winhost will have another revenue source and will be the cheapest Windows Web Hosting Service based on the services that being offered.

16. Gofer01

After reading those 3 forum hyperlinks I understand why you are not going with a MySQL server.

Might want to think about migrating all your Phyical Servers into Hyper-V Servers. It will be cheaper in your operating costs. One of the vitural servers can be a MySQL Server :)

17. Gofer01

I re-read the above 3 hyperlinks. The problem comes down to that you have no in-house expert. Your buget prevents you from hiring a MySQL person.

So don't hire a person. Use good business sense. Sub-Contract that service out. Use the barter system. Go to Rent-A-Coder.com and find you a good MySQL person and offer them like 10 sites in return they have to answer every MySQL / PHP question in this forum and assist you in setting up a MySQL Server.

How Rent-A-Coder works is you place a add. People bid on the work. After you read the bidders resumes. You select the best bidder based on there Resume. You pay Rent-A-Coder a fixed price. You offer to pay the bidders fee that they have to pay Rent-A-Coder

18. Come on, man. There wasn't anything in any of those other threads to suggest that we do not support MySQL due to budget restrictions. And with all due respect to your suggestions, if you read the threads you must have seen it said that we do not outsource anything.

You can include with that, bartering or "half-assing" anything. Sorry - I meant to say doing anything that could be interpreted as cutting corners. That's what I meant. I don't know how that vernacular slipped in there when I wasn't looking. Mea culpa, mis hermanos y hermanas!

So, yeah. We don't support MySQL. Like I've said before, that doesn't mean we never will. But right now, and as far into the future as I can see with my crystal ball, we don't.

19. Gofer01

Here a quote from you and 1 from Ray. This is from only 1 tread. I did a search on MySQL in this forum basicly all treads said the same thing

http://forum.Winhost.com/showthread.php?t=3217

Ray

MySQL is difficult to support with an infrastructure that is Micorsoft base. First off a new server will have to be implemented. This is just for MySQL. Then we will have to integrate it in our control panel. Then obviously the staff will have to be trained to support it. Lastly, what drivers need to be installed on the web server to properly connect to the MySQL server. From my understanding MySQL drivers are not standardized. Also from what I heard Oracle maybe looking to implementing licensing fees to use MySQL so even that is going to be a variable in licensing fees.

Hank
    Well, the main issue, and one of the things Ray mentioned, is support. We don't have real deep MySQL expertise in-house, and based on what we've seen elsewhere, the MySQL business wouldn't support that additional staff.

That doesn't mean it will never happen, though. It is just not in the current plans.

Hank

Yeah, that's just part of it though. The main thing is being able to confidently and competently support it. We don't want to offer something that we kind of know how to manage.

Hank

We don't outsource anything, so 'no' to that. And it isn't an issue of training, it's an issue of expertise.

As I said, we don't want to offer something that we kind of know how to manage. We don't want to be in the position of taking people's money and providing half-assed support of a core component, and that's where we would be right now with MySQL. We could do it, and everything would be fine - you know, as long as everything was running fine. But when there was a problem, we (and you) would be at a disadvantage.

You should be glad that we know what we're capable of and admit our limitations. Most other hosts throw stuff out there and worry about potential problems later.

Basicly you help out in the search please read post 16 in this tread. The post is from you. and other help is posted at the bottom of evey tread. So a search on MySQL posts wasn't to hard to do in this forum

20. I have no idea what your point is.