moving emails

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by zlongyan, Mar 13, 2010.

1. I have 2 questions, could you please help me out?
    1. if i only transfer my website to Winhost, i just simply change the "A" record to Winhost IP address, is it right?
    2 if i want to move my email to Winhost, how to do and how long it can be done? will it missing any emails? what will happen if someone send me emails whlie i am setting the new emails with Winhost? will it be bounced back to sender?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

1. You can manage dns and point your A records. Or you can just update your domain name servers and have us manage DNS - then you can use the DNS management tools that we provide in our control panel.
    2. If you are managing DNS, then you need to point the MX records to us, but if you are going to use us for email, then its probably easier to just update your domain name servers instead. As for emails during the transition period, they can be bounced back to sender, go to your old host/email service, or come to us. You may want to schedule the update for say a weekend when the email traffic may be less.

3. Note that to point an A record to a site here you will need to be on the Max plan. The Basic plan does not include a unique IP address, and without that your A record pointing will fail.

4. Since during the transition period, emails can be bounced back to sender, so I don't use Winhost for email, I only use Winhost for website, won't change my name server to Winhost, the price of max plan is to hight, I have to cancle my account that I open today, how much i should pay?

5. Gofer01

Gofer01 Amateur Web Application Developer

Winhost is the second lowest Web Hosting provider I know of for the services that it offers. The 500MG and 5 SQL Databases makes it the second lowest.

The lowest asks for the same price on hosting same number of Database space and databases and plus a ASP.NET shopping cart. The only problem is you have to pay a annual yearly rate. Winhost is month to month. This is for there MAX Plan.

The SmarterMail, and SmarterStats and SQL Server databases. You say it's to expensive? All we have to do is try talking them into upgrading to SmarterMail 5.1 so we can have unlimited number of mailing list and SEO Keyword tools

I made a working SmarterMail 5.1 E-Mail account

[removed]

I forgotten witch one

Ray / Hank feel free to look around

I had to change the password because the old password didn't meet the minimum requirements. The new password is

[removed]

Update The keyword tool is in the SmarterStats not SmarterMail

This e-mail account is a functional account and not a dummy account. This account Will be available until next Tuesday

For security reassons didn't attached te-mail templates or subscription lists this account is for evaluation purpose only

6. I think there are some misunderstanding between us, I only want to use Winhost for website, because I don't want to take risk for missing emails during transfer email service to Winhost, i won't change my domain name server to Winhost, all I need is an unique IP address that i can point an A record to my website, I can easily find an other webhosting that can point an A record at price of $4.95, for this reson, the max plan's price is to high for me.

7. Ray

Ray

You should be able to use the IP address assigned to your account even if it is a shared IP address. So long as the correct headers are setup in IIS for your domain name it will work.

8. I use the 96.31.35.30 in the site info, but it does't work. what is the IIS? could you please let me know how to set up?

9. Ray

Ray

Whats is your domain name and I'll check your account.

10. Ray

Ray

Base off some of these networking test 'greating-shipping.com' is not yet resolving to IP address 96.31.35.30.

C:\>nslookup
    > set type=ns
    > greating-shipping.com

Non-authoritative answer:
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = ns9.san.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = yns1.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = ns8.san.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = yns2.yahoo.com
    > server ns9.san.yahoo.com
    Default Server: ns9.san.yahoo.com
    Address: 66.196.84.168

> greating-shipping.com
    Server: ns9.san.yahoo.com
    Address: 66.196.84.168

greating-shipping.com nameserver = yns1.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = yns2.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = ns9.san.yahoo.com
    greating-shipping.com nameserver = ns8.san.yahoo.com
    > server yns1.yahoo.com
    *** Can't find address for server yns1.yahoo.com: Query refused
    > server ns8.san.yahoo.com
    *** Can't find address for server ns8.san.yahoo.com: Query refused
    > server yns2.yahoo.com
    *** Can't find address for server yns2.yahoo.com: Query refused
    >

C:\>ping greating-shipping.com

Pinging greating-shipping.com [216.39.57.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 216.39.57.107: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=46
    Reply from 216.39.57.107: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=46
    Reply from 216.39.57.107: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 216.39.57.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 88ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 89ms

C:\>ping www.greating-shipping.com

Pinging p12p-i.geo.vip.re4.yahoo.com [216.39.57.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 216.39.57.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 88ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 88ms

C:\>

Since you are not using our DNS servers, you'll need to speak directly with the network administrators that handle these DNS servers and make sure that your domain name greating-shipping.com resolves to our IP address 96.31.35.30

Base off the nslookup it appears that yahoo is your DNS provider.

And base off the 'Can't find address...' errors, there maybe some issues with there DNS servers.

11. I appreciate your willingness to help, but an email account login on a public forum is an invitation to spammers, so I removed the information.

12. I did change my A record to your IP address 96.31.35.30 , but it didn't work, so i change back to YAHOO last night.

13. Ray

Ray

Its really hard to diagnose and troubleshot the problem since we can't replicate it on our end and we don't even know what the error message is.

If you need us to help you figure out this problem you'll need to change it back and let us know how we can replicate the problem on our end.

14. You're on the Basic plan. That does not include a unique IP, so the A record pointing will fail. You can't point an A record to a shared IP.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

The update is not instant. You have to wait up to 72 hours for the DNS change effect to take hold on the INTERNET. Most cases from my experience the change will take hold between 15 minutes to 1 hour. One time about 4 years ago I did have to wait about 48 hours before the change to the NS records for one of my domains took hold.

So be patient. You will still get all of your e-mail. The mail either go in your old MX record settings or your new settings. Yahoo and SmarterMail has a web base interface. So you can very easy go to each account via your browser. After the DNS settings takes effect you can use a POP3 E-Mail client like Outlook Express.

If you have your own DNS Server there two setting you have to provide

A Record - mail.yourdomain.com 96.31.35.30
    MX Record - yourdomain.com mail.yourdomain.com Rank 10

Rank is based on priority. 10 is the highest and 0 is the lowest. If you have only 1 MX record for a domain the priority really doesn't mean anything because there only one MX record. The priority for the rank comes into play when you have more than 1 MX record.

16. Don't copy these exactly, they won't work for everyone.

The priority values can go above 10. Note that the lowest number is the first server in the chain. The higher priority values are only used if the lower numbers are unavailable. So for example:

14400 IN MX 1 aspmx.l.google.com. This will be used first
    14400 IN MX 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com. This will be used if first is not available
    14400 IN MX 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com. This will be used if first and second are not available
    14400 IN MX 99 aspmx3.googlemail.com. This will be used if first, second and third are not available

17. When I put A record as 96.31.35.30, it goes to Winhost website instead of my website,
    and there is a message like" you have set up your website sucessfully"

18. Ray

Ray

This is our default Winhost welcome page. This exist on all new accounts. This means when you first call on your page it goes to the root and since there are no other default pages it will call on Winhostdefault.htm. This is normal it does not mean that the site is broken.

If you uploaded your site in some kind of sub folder which I suspect you may have you will not be able to see your site unless you specifically request in in your URL. As an example http://www.mydomain.com/subfoder.

If you want your site to show up when you type (i.e. http://www.mydomain.com) then you will need to upload the file directly under the root and not in some kind of subfolder.

19. Again...this is not going to work because you are on the Basic plan.

If you want to point an A record to your site here you need a unique IP, and that is not available on the Basic plan.

Basic plan accounts share IPs and the server uses host header information to direct traffic to your site. If you want to use an A record you have to upgrade your Winhost account to the Max plan, get a unique IP and point the A record to the IP address.

Maybe the third time saying that will be the charm. ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks I didn't know the rank goes above 10. I always try to use the default setting to a MX record. The only default settings I ever saw was 10, 5, 0

21. Gofer01

Gofer01 Amateur Web Application Developer

They could spam much, I put restrictions on how many e-mails that could be sent. Witch was one at a time :)

22. In general we would prefer to avoid posting any passwords in the forum.

With the username and password of your test email account, someone could use that info to authenticate against the SMTP server and send a lot of mail. No need to make it easier for them.

23. Thank you Hank, I will think about to upgrade to max plan.