Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by 0000403, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Hello,

I am having a problem trying to access Excel dll from my web application.
    When I try to print an excel file, the error message I am getting is:
    "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)"

On my local app, I added this from com->add reference etc. I am unsure of how I can upload this dll file onto my application, as well as if I have to change my webconfig file to add this reference path?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Michael Chang

2. Ray

Ray

The Excel dll file you are trying to reference requires that we have to install the Excel application on the server. Because of security, standardization, and licenses reasons we cannot install this program on our hosting servers.

3. Did you ever find a solution to being able to use MS DLL code as a reference in your app? I have the same issue. Since we cannot modify the GAC we need a workaround eh?! Thanks for any input.

4. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

Put the dll in the Bin should generally work for .NET component. In the case of the original poster, he's trying to access the Excel COM which is not installed.