What IP's to create my own nameservers?

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by raulrios, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I would like to use my domain name as the nameserver - what IPs do I use for ns1 and ns2

2. you should see the IP on your home page

3. Ray

Ray

If you are going to use your own DNS servers you will not point your domain name to our name servers you'll need to point it to our web servers. Log into your Winhost control panel and under DNS Manager setup the same zone record we have on our DNS server on your DNS server.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Eh...this is not exactly a trivial task, and I'm not sure it's even do-able using our DNS interface. You need to create the hosts (sometimes you can do that at the domain registrar) update SOA, add NS records, etc. I haven't tried to do it here, but I have a feeling you won't be able to. Not unless you host your DNS elsewhere.

If I'm wrong and someone has done it, feel free to set me straight. ;) But it's very, very easy to hose your DNS and render your site and email dead in the water. If you know what you're doing, by all means, go for it. If you don't, expect to spend some time on it, and go through some potentially frustrating trial and error.

5. Gofer01

Gofer01 Amateur Web Application Developer

If you have your own DNS Server Win Host need to give you your own Static IP Address.

On your DNS Server you need to make two A records and one MX record if Win Host offers SMTP Service.

The A records are

the IP address should be the one that Win Host gives you.

The MX record should point to yourdomain.com or make another A record of smtp.yourdomain.com 127.0.0.1 and point the MX record to that A record.

If Win Host offers SMTP services the IP of there SMTP server might be different than the Static IP that they give you for your web site. It depends on how they set up there IIS 7.0 web servers. So the 3rd A record might have a different Static IP address

6. Not necessarily will it have to be a static IP. You are provided with the shared server IP, which is basically the IP of the server you're on. You'll be able to point your domain to this IP, and it'll be all spiffy and work fine, but you will not be able to let's say, browse the IP.

This IP is not just used by you, but by other customers as well which is why you're not able to simply browse the IP.

A static IP however, is an IP that is dedicated just to your account and since it's only used on your account, you can browse it and show your site. This isn't the case in our hosting accounts, but we'll take it into consideration.

Just to make it clear, you're not getting a static IP for your hosting account only, but a shared IP which is used by the server. Please note that this IP doesn't change, so if you have your own DNS servers elsewhere you should never have any problems having to update the IP to make sure it's up to date.

I hope this cleared it up a little bit, but if you still have questions or I'm way off base let me know and we'd be glad to help you.

7. There is more to using your domain as a nameserver than A records. An SOA record, for instance, which our DNS manager does not allow you to create.

If you manage your own DNS elsewhere you may be able to set it up, but we can't provide any detailed instruction or advice. As I said before, DNS for a domain is easily broken, so it's best left to people who know what they are doing. And, no offense to anyone, but if you are asking how to do it in a forum, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Aside from the technical hurdles involved, it is a bad idea to use your domain as a nameserver unless you have two geographically separate DNS servers that you can split the NS records between. And I would doubt that many of our users have that at their disposal. When all of your NS records point to the same server you have a single point of failure, and that completely defeats the purpose of multiple nameservers.

If it seems as if I am trying to discourage you from using your domain as a nameserver, I am. ;) The only reason to do it is to "hide" the hosting company, but anyone who would know to look at the whois record to find the host will also know how to do other simple lookups that will lead back to us anyway.