Multiple Domains, One Site

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by RockCityGhost, Oct 8, 2009.

1. What is the point of having unlimited domains when you can only have one site?

I believe your advertising is misleading. Saying that you can "Host Unlimited Domains" is aimed at making people believe you can host multiple sites in one package, but you cannot. You can have ONE site, and unlimited domain names pointed at that ONE site.

2. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

You can host multiple web sites within one account/site. With the plans we offer unlimited domain pointers so you can add as many domains as you wish to your site through Control Panel. You can then programmatically redirect the additional domains to whichever subdirectory you choose. You can set the subdirectory as its own application starting point using the Application Starting Point tool in Control Panel. So you can host as many web sites as you want in one Site.

3. Please elaborate on this. Can this be done through the control panel, or does the end user have to set this up in their code?

If I am understanding this correctly, technically you can, but I would have to hack all my code...Basically, I really only get one domain per site. And I setup a bunch of pointers (aliases). So if I set my site up as XYZ.com, and add pointers for YYY.com and ZZZ.com, I still only have one "domain". Then I would have to, in my code, catch people trying to go to YYY.com and redirect them to what is actaully XYZ.com/YYY. Technically you win this arguement, but I shouldn't have to pay to have to hack my own code. When you have 1 account with unlimited SITES, I will seriously consider your services.

4. Why did you delete my post?

Wow...

Why did you delete my post? Because I am trying to get a truthful answer from you? Because I want other people to understand exactly what they are buying?

The only kinds of people that delete posts are those that have something to hide... I was not trolling nor flaming. I am trying to understand what your advertising cannot explain clearly.

At this point, I have gone from interested in your services, to now against them, and I will tell everyone I can to not use your services...

5. Reposting an honest question... Please answer.

Please elaborate on this. Can this be done through the control panel, or does the end user have to set this up in their code?

If I am understanding this correctly, technically you can, but I would have to hack all my code...Basically, I really only get one domain per site. And I setup a bunch of pointers (aliases). So if I set my site up as XYZ.com, and add pointers for YYY.com and ZZZ.com, I still only have one "domain". Then I would have to, in my code, catch people trying to go to YYY.com and redirect them to what is actaully XYZ.com/YYY. Technically you win this arguement, but I shouldn't have to pay to have to hack my own code. When you have 1 account with unlimited SITES, I will seriously consider your services.

6. What post did they delete? You seem to be posting in the thread you started?

7. Also, hosting content based on the domain works just fine, as long as you are willing to do the heavy lifting of routing it to the right place.

And they never say that you can host multiple sites per account, in fact the feature chart says "Domains Per Site".

8. Ray

Ray

Your post was not deleted. Our forum flagged your post as possible spam and I had to approve the post to allow it to be seen.

9. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Using mulitple web sites in one Site is not about hacking code. Other hosts do the same thing but they make you go into a control panel to do everything and make changes. We give the customer more freedom to control the behavior of their domains with their code without having to go into a control panel to do everything. We have some sample code for redirecing subdomains in our knowledge base. You can do the same thing with domain pointers - http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a649/how-to-redirect-a-subdomain-to-a-subdirectory.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  10. To be honest, I kind of prefer Godaddy's way of doing it. Where I set it up in the control panel, pointing to a Joomla install and have it show up without a subdirectory, or disturbing the root application.

Though with the URL Rewrite module, I will probably be changing my mind soon. Since writing something that dynamically changes should be nice.

Sean

11. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

That's your preference. That is fine. But that is not how we do things here. We want our customers to have as much complete control as possible and not be beholden to some control panel. Once you set that domain pointer, you have complete control over its behavior with your code.

Making you log back in to a control panel to do everything is a great way for godaddy to push more ads in your face I guess. That's not our idea of freedom and control. But ultimately it is up to you to choose how you want to manage your own site.

12. One last thing

The two are not mutually exclusive

13. Guest

Guest Guest

The right way of doing it

Resellerchoice.net does it right... they give you a certain number of domains, and you manage each one as it's own...

No need at all to change code...

Every domain has it's own space, email, ftp, databases... much better

14. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

That's great. There are many hosts out there and they all do things differently. There is no right way and wrong way of doing hosting. It is best to find one that suits your needs and your preferences. We are not trying to look like or be like any other host. We are doing our own thing here as best as we can and provide our customers with as much flexibility and control as we can provide them.

15. Right. And those ten sites you want to run (mentioned in your other post) will cost you $39.95 a month there. So you're comparing apples and oranges. You can't get anything from them for $4.95.

They also don't have a forum that's open to the public. Personally, I wouldn't use a host that didn't have that open form of communication. But that's just me.

16. JimM

JimM Guest

Resulting URL

I believe I understand the redirect pholosophy, site configuration, and code to make it happen. Assume I choose to only have the redirect default page at the web root and all domains have their own subdirectory. If my primary domain is www.domain1.com and I redirect it to the /domain1 directory, is the resulting URL shown in the users browser www.domain1.com/domain1 ? And a login page would show as www.domain1.com/domain1/login.aspx ? So all URLs for all web sites will always have a directory path after the domain name? No page can ever be at the URL root of any web site? e.g. www.domain2.com/anypage.aspx

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Correction, 25 sites for $29.95 at resellerchoice, not sure how were you are getting the numbers. That’s only a little over a dollar per hosted site.

It could be a restricted from public access to keep the clients anonymous since RC is an anyonymous reseller host.

I would not judge a host based only on the fact that they may select not host a public forum, facebook, etc.. A lot of very good reseller hosting firms don’t.

18. Personally, I wouldn't use a host that doesn't post contact information and hides who they are. But that's just me.

19. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

I guess everybody has their preferences. There are plenty of hosts out there so everyone must make their own decisions. We wouldn't want anyone who doesn't trust us to host with us. We know its a dawg eat dawg world out there.

But you will see in our Customer Testimonials section of our forum that even though we are new (only a couple months in operations), we have many people who are responding very positively to our hosting service: http://forum.Winhost.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

And you can also tell from our forum that our customers and our staff our well engaged. If you don't have a forum for whatever reason, its hard to see that.. And if you have one and there are hardly any posts in there, you have to really wonder about the host.

20. That's funny, dawg! We consider you a little brother of sorts. You know, an unruly little brother, all sticky and wound up from too much ice cream and badly in need of a nap. Like that. We love you, but you are so hostile. I don't understand it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  21. seriously what is the point of abusing the Winhost staff? if you don't like their services then leave.

I am very happy with the service they are providing and I have many different domain names each with a different directory and my customers are happy to have a redirect script for each one.

Get over yourselves, if you like their service stay, if you don't then leave.

22. I don't need a last name when working with support; I need only a knowledgeable person that will help me.

I don't need to know the location of their office; I need only a means of contacting them.

I don't need a phone number to said office; I need only a forum or email that is checked regularly.

I know what they mean by unlimited domains; To expect unlimited websites is an asinine assumption.

To say to them that you will tell everyone to not host here is only shorting "everyone". I've had hosting trouble from other web hosts, none with Winhost.

Winhost gives me direct access to the database to connect with MSSQL. I can even run asp_regsql from home. I don't need to submit a support ticket and wait for their techno weenies to ask me 20 questions about the database I want to run it against.

I have access to IIS7 Management Console with Winhost.

I can build a web app and upload it, and IT WORKS. I've had hosts that would break when I upload web apps.

I've had webhosts that banned me for FTPing in with Visual Studio because of the crawl that it does. They didn't know anything about Visual Studio, and didn't know how to prevent the problem.

I'm QUITE satisfied with Winhost. They're the most complete host that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

The only thing I wish they had was a reseller option, but hey, maybe next year :).

23. Thanks Daegan, we appreciate it!

"DiscountWinhost," "RockCityGhost" and "Guest" all posted from the same IP, which leads back to a competing host. I won't say who, but it's kind of odd that they are focusing so much energy on us rather than on their own business. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish here.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  24. I figured they were the same person, honestly.

It should be a compliment that they're trolling here. You guys are noticed ;)

25. JimM

JimM Guest

Lost in the shuffle

Hank, would you be so kind as to address my 12-18-2009 post?

26. Ray

Ray

Jim, technically that is true. Because each site account will only have one root, additional domain names pointing to the site account will not have its own root. Sorry that is just how IIS works.

But you can try using the URL Rewrite root to kind of mask the URL so that it looks like the root. Now bear in mind that this can have some consequences; like AJAX applications. This is because the URL rewrite will modify the http call name so that the address bar will show what you want it to show, which can affect the path of the AJAX calls. Typically you will get a 404 error message with AJAX applications with URL Rewrite rules.

So if this site is an important production site, you may want to consider registering it as its own site account.

27. JimM

JimM Guest

Got it

Got it. Thanks.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Honestly, I can see why other people would have a problem with this company especially employees at competing web hosts. This host as well as their parent company DiscountAsp.net for years have harassed, abused, clicked on PPC listings of other hosts repeatedly, ordered hosting plans in names of the employees at competing hosts, posted threatening, abusive, hostile and vulgar messages in other hosts forums repeatedly. This list is quite extensive and goes on. They have quite an impressive history. This is their modus operandi and has been for numerous years. Many, Many hosts can testify to their questionable tactics and business practices. So whats the point? Ask the immature kids at Winhost and DiscountASP why they play games all day long with competing hosts instead of concentrating their diminishing customer base.

29. Psychological projection

Psychological projection or projection bias (including Freudian Projection) is the unconscious act of denial of a person's own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to the weather, the government, a tool, or to other people. Thus, it involves imagining or projecting that others have the same feelings or motives, rather than what they really think.

An example of this behavior might be blaming another for self failure. The mind may avoid the discomfort of consciously admitting personal faults by keeping those feelings unconscious, and redirect their libidinal satisfaction by attaching, or "projecting," those same faults onto another.

Projection is considered one of the most profound and subtle of human psychological processes, and extremely difficult to work with, because by its nature it is hidden. It is the fundamental mechanism by which we keep ourselves uninformed about ourselves.