Access to the path is denied

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Dell, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I'm trying to install nopcommerce 2.0 in www.mysite.com/nopcommerce. I get the error shown below. I understand the error message; the program does not have permission to create the bin folder. I don't understand the correct way to fix the problem. Thanks for the help.
    Code:
    Server Error in '/nopcommerce' Application.

Access to the path 'E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\Plugins\bin' is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\Plugins\bin' is denied. 

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6 and IIS 7, and the configured application pool identity on IIS 7.5) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user. 

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

2. An update - After some more googling I used IIS Manager to set ASP.Net impersonation to Enabled and then set the identity to impersonate to my standard login name and password. This got the nopcommerce install a lot farther along, the bin was created and the plugin dlls were copied over to it. But it stopped with :

And I'm stuck again. Help would be appreciated.

3. Further along but still problems...

So after more googling I modified my web.config by adding

Code:
     tempDirectory = "E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\ASP.Net Temporary Folder\"
    to the compilation element.

but now I get the error
    HTML:
    The current identity (W02\aspnet_4606) does not have write access to 'E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\ASP.Net Temporary Folder\'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The current identity (W02\aspnet_4606) does not have write access to 'E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\ASP.Net Temporary Folder\'.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    So how do I give the entity "W02\aspnet_4606" the appropriate write access?
    Or am I going about this the wrong way? Help appreciated.

4. Did you specify your trust level as full?

In your web.config under system.web add
    <trust level="Full" />

5. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

Open a support ticket, the permission on your site might be messed up by webdeploy

6. It was not there. I added it and refreshed the browser, no joy. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

8. OK, now I'm really confused about permissions...

I requested a support ticket and included all the contents of this thread in the request. Support responded very quickly (my first ticket, I'm impressed) - here is their response:
    I've read the referenced KB article (several times) and searched these forums re aspnet membership roles, and they all seem to be addressing troubles referencing/accessing a database. I'm not having trouble referencing a database (unless I'm WAY WAY out in left field). I'm having trouble with "W02\aspnet_4606" not having write permission to the folder "E:\web\siduckst\nopcommerce\ASP.Net Temporary Folder\". Is the KB article on the membershiproles provider relevant to that? If it is could you clarify (using small words :confused:). Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  9. Update - solved

I contacted support again and they reset my permissions, that seems to have solved the problem.

What is interesting is that the problem was caused by webdeploy. I used webdeploy to upload a couple of practice/test sites a few days ago. But the NopCommerce folks say not to use webdeploy to upload NopCommerce, so I FTPed it up. But apparently by using webdeploy earlier the damage had already been done.

So much for webdeploy. I'm going back to FTPing everything...

10. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015