transitioning from linux

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I'm coming from a Linux bgnd. I have a project to host several sites developed using ASP.NET MVC 2. All I'm responsible for is the hosting. I need to get the site up and running, and provide my client with ftp access for updates. They have given me a zip file containing the project files. In the root is a file project-name.sln, another project-name.suo, plus project and test directories. Can I install this in the root dir of a site and expect it to work? Can I expect help in deploying what I am reasonably certain is a well structured project? Thanks for any insight.--Jeff

2. Ray

Ray

There are a couple of methods in which you can upload your website to our server. You can either use FTP or web deploy. I cannot guarantee to you that your site will work because I do not know how it is coded and how it was designed, in fact no one can. All I can say is that our server is fully ASP.Net compatible and we do support MVC.

3. You can expect help here in the forum, but generally not via a helpdesk ticket in the support portal. We can't give really specific configuration advice in a ticket, so those kinds of things are better worked out here.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

next step

OK, So I signed up for a month of service, logged in via the secondary ftp address, and uploaded my client's site. They supplied me a zip file, which I unzipped on my local machine and uploaded the tree as a unit using my ftp client. All the directories and files seem to be there. However, when trying to access the site via browser, I still get the default page (Winhostdefault.htm). Do I have to do anything to get my client's site going? Thanks again. --Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

next step + 1

I moved things up a level in the tree structure, so that files like global.asax and Web.config are in the root, and I get this error.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 11: </connectionStrings>
    Line 12: <system.web>
    Line 13: <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0">
    Line 14: <assemblies>
    Line 15: <add assembly="System.Web.Abstractions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

Source File: E:\web\snowthro\web.config Line: 13

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4209

6. Ray

Ray

Log into your Winhost control panel. Go to the Site Manager. You will see a button for Framework version. Make sure it is set for framework 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

you the man

Thanks! That did the trick, much obliged.--Jeff