WCF, SQL, e-mail

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by JonJacobs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. JonJacobs

JonJacobs Guest

What I've read concerning Winhost looks attractive, but I have some questions...

I'm a software developer. I want to sharpen my skills in WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) Web Services and ASP.Net Web sites. I've done as much as I can using local server, so now I need a web hosting service.

I use csharp in VS 2008 with .Net 3.5.

Godaddy was problematic for installing my WCF Web Services, so I'm looking for a Web hosting service where it will be fairly easy to install them.

I shouldn't require a great deal of disk space or bandwidth.

I have a domain name already.

1. Is Winhost a good fit for my needs?
    2. I use a local SQL database as part of my web site for login authentication. Would that use up my 1 MS SQL database?
    3. How difficult is it to set up using my existing domain name that is not from Winhost?
    4. How many e-mail accounts may I have with the Basic plan?

Thanks,
    Jon Jacobs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

1. No one can really answer this, other then that we do fully support ASP.Net, WCF, and C#.

2. It will depend on what plan you choose. For the Basic plan you get one SQL 2008 database and 1 MySQL database. Either one can be used for ASP.Net membership/roles provider.

3. Its very easy. Simply contact your registrar and have them update the name servers to point to Winhost DNS servers.

4. Once again it will depend on the plan you choose. For the basic plan you can create up to 250 POP account.

Try looking at this link for our hosting features.

http://Winhost.com/windows-hosting-plans.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  3. JonJacobs

JonJacobs Guest

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The only disappointment is #2 (interpretation: Yes, local SQL file would use up/eliminate my ability to use the external SQL database)

So, I will need to change my code to use a table in an external database.

Will continue to investigate, starting with playing with my web app code.

Thanks

Jon Jacobs

4. You can use a local database. As long as you are set up locally to accept foreign connections (i.e., a connection from the web server here) you will be fine. You could also use a database on our server, associated with the account. Either/or.