error: 26 ?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by keeperman, Sep 6, 2010.

1. when I upload my application to website(webhosting), I got this error.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I checked Knowledge Base,It says: "You will have to upsize your SQL Express Database to SQL 2008 and change the web.config file connection string to point the SQL server. "

How to upsize it SQL2008 and change the web.config file connection string to point the SQL server. ?

I do really appreciate your help! Thanks!

2. Ray

Ray

3. Thanks, actually I mean how to build a database link for my application on web hosting, I can't attach my local "teststore.mdf" file to Winhost. I've created "teststore.mdf" on my local system and upload to "app_data" folder on the website. how to make it works?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Ray

Ray

You can't simply upload a .mdf file to the web server and have your web application call it. You need to run a backup procedure on your own local machine and then upload the .bak file to the server. Then you go to the control panel and run the Restore/Backup procedure and it will upload it to the SQL server. Then you go to the web.config file and under the connection strings element you update the connection string to the SQL 2008 server. The KB articles I posted should help you get started on that.

5. Hi, I did it as you said. but "Restore failed. Please contact support for details. " when I restore.

6. Ray

Ray

I suggest you open a ticket for this. Make sure you include as much detail as possible along with a full copy of the error message.

7. Hi, I noticed in this KB, http://support.Winhost.com/KB/a771/how-do-i-generate-or-restore-a-backup-of-my-database.aspx Says:

"The database restoration tool is intended to be used with backups generated in Control Panel only. If you create a backup on your local system and attempt to restore it to the live database the restoration may fail."

Does that mean I can't create a backup on my local computer and then upload to web server to restore?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  8. Ray

Ray

Yes you can. Everyone else use it for this purpose.