SqlServerCe.4.0

Discussion in 'Databases' started by RobGruen, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I am struggling getting my Website working with SQLServerCe 4.0.
    I am getting the following error message:
    [ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.]
    System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName) +1420567
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.TryInitializeFromAppConfig(String name) +362
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.Initialize() +49
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.get_ConnectionHasModel() +10
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext() +265
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.GetEntitySetAndBaseTypeForType(Type entityType) +17
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.Initialize() +62
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.get_InternalContext() +15
    System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryable.get_Provider() +37
    System.Linq.Queryable.Count(IQueryable`1 source) +50
    Tips.Controllers.TipsController.InitWebData(WebData data) in TipsController.cs:146

The connection-string I am using is the following:
    <add name="Tips"
    connectionString="data source=|DataDirectory|Tips.sdf;Persist Security Info=False;"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />

Everything is working fine on my local machine.
    A different thread of this forum is suggesting to copy the binaries of SQLServerCe to the bin-Folder of my Website.
    I tried this, but without success.
    I copied the following DLLs (all from folder "Program files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0" on my Laptop with Windows 7 64 bit) to the bin folder:
    sqlceca40.dll
    sqlcecompact40.dll
    sqlceer40EN.dll
    sqlceme40.dll
    sqlceoledb40.dll
    sqlceqp40.dll
    sqlcese40.dll

Is there anything missing or did I do something wrong in general?
    Thanks in adavnce!

2. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Are you receiving a new error message?

3. Yes, the error message is the same.
    I started completely from scratch on the server side again, i.e.:

• create new directory ("tips" in my case)

• in VS2010 execute from menu Build --> Publish
    The only thing I found was, that the file-size of Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll is 465.248 bytes, whereas the one on the server (distributed via publish of my application) is 296.816 bytes.

The current error-message looks like this:
    Server Error in '/tips' Application.
    Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.]
    System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName) +1420567
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.TryInitializeFromAppConfig(String name) +362
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.Initialize() +49
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.get_ConnectionHasModel() +10
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext() +265
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.GetEntitySetAndBaseTypeForType(Type entityType) +17
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.Initialize() +62
    System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.get_InternalContext() +15
    System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryable.get_Provider() +37
    System.Linq.Queryable.Count(IQueryable`1 source) +50
    Tips.Controllers.TipsController.InitWebData(WebData data) in TipsController.cs:157
    Tips.Controllers.TipsController.Index() in TipsController.cs:91
    lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +40
    System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +17
    System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +188
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +56
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +267
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +20
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +190
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +329
    System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +115
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +94
    System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +37
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +21
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +12
    System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +55
    System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +31
    System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +7
    System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +23
    System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +59
    System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8970061
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

4. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

5. I checked your link. I copied all the required (as mentioned in the link). I still get the same error message.
    I really do not know, what I could do to get it running.
    My entry in web.config looks like this:
    <add name="Tips"
    connectionString="data source=|DataDirectory|Tips.sdf;Persist Security Info=False;"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />

The DLLs on site are the ones from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0\Private (the directories amd64 and x86) as well as the 2 DLLs from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0\Desktop.
    The latter 2 I have copied directly to the bin-folder, the others are copied with the directory, i.e. they are located in bin\amd64 and bin\x86.

I have no idea, which additional DLLs I could need.

6. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

Oops. I missed this:

Is there a URL we can view?

8. The issue with the different sizes of the DLL I have fixed now. The one with 296.816 was the version 3.5.
    I changed my References to use version 4.0.

The URL is http://www.club97.net/tips

I have added the <system.web>-part to my web.config as suggested, but am still getting the same error-message.

9. The bin-directory of my deployed webpage looks like this:
    \---bin
    | EntityFramework.dll
    | EntityFramework.xml
    | Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure.dll
    | Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure.xml
    | Newtonsoft.Json.dll
    | Newtonsoft.Json.pdb
    | Newtonsoft.Json.xml
    | System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
    | System.Data.SqlServerCe.Entity.dll
    | System.Web.Helpers.dll
    | System.Web.Helpers.xml
    | System.Web.Mvc.dll
    | System.Web.Mvc.xml
    | System.Web.Razor.dll
    | System.Web.Razor.xml
    | System.Web.WebPages.Deployment.dll
    | System.Web.WebPages.Deployment.xml
    | System.Web.WebPages.dll
    | System.Web.WebPages.Razor.dll
    | System.Web.WebPages.Razor.xml
    | System.Web.WebPages.xml
    | Tips.dll
    | Tips.pdb
    |
    +---amd64
    | | sqlceca40.dll
    | | sqlcecompact40.dll
    | | sqlceer40EN.dll
    | | sqlceme40.dll
    | | sqlceqp40.dll
    | | sqlcese40.dll
    | |
    | \---Microsoft.VC90.CRT
    | Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
    | msvcr90.dll
    | README_ENU.txt
    |
    +---App_Data
    | Tips.sdf
    |
    \---x86
    | sqlceca40.dll
    | sqlcecompact40.dll
    | sqlceer40EN.dll
    | sqlceme40.dll
    | sqlceqp40.dll
    | sqlcese40.dll
    |
    \---Microsoft.VC90.CRT
    Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
    msvcr90.dll
    README_ENU.txt

I also checked with ProcessExplorer, if really the SqlServerCe Version 4.0 is referenced when starting the App on my Laptop:
    [​IMG]

10. Elshadriel

Elshadriel Winhost Staff

11. Thank you, now it's working.
    I added the following lines to web.config (the one located in the root dir):
    <system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
    <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider"
    invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5"
    description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact"
    type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/>
    <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider 4.0"
    invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0"
    description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact"
    type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/>
    </DbProviderFactories>
    </system.data>