Silverlight 4, .wsx file/server side playlist.

Discussion in 'Site Programming, Development and Design' started by Voxiq, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hello,

I am just getting started with Silverlight 4. I am following a tutorial from a book which explains how to create a server side (mp3 audio) playlist, using a .wsx file.

Now, I understand that my Silverlight client needs to excess the .wsx file on my host server (i.e. my Winhost account).

Although the tutorial in the book does describe how to create the .wsx file, it goes on to state that "publishing a .wsx file on a web server is beyond the scope of this book".

How does someone go about actually publishing (or configuring) a .wsx file on a webserver such as on my Winhost hosting account, so that it can be accessed by my Silverlight 4 client via its MediaElement object?

I just want to make a simple audio (mp3) server side playlist that can be accessed by my Silverlight 4 app.

Thanks for any help, advise or references anyone can offer.

*By the way, is SilverlIght the most practical way to go about something like this these days? It kind of seems to me like Silverlight is either going to become extinct for web purposes in the near future, or will be used primarily for Window Phone? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

3. Hello Ray,

Thank you for your reply. I do know how to upload html files via ftp, however I am inquiring specifically about .wsx files. HTML and XAP files are working fine on my Winhost account.

My .wsx file is a type of xml file that is used by my Silverlight 4 client(Browser) application. The .wsx file would reside on the server and provides the client application with server side "playlist" info.

From what little I know about this subject, I do believe that in order for me to use .wsx files on a server such as Winhost, I would need to install/activate certain MIME types?

Thanks again,
    Tony

4. Update: I just thought I'd add this info which might help answer this question.

When trying to access my .wsx file via my Silverlight 4 app. I get the following message:

"Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Timestamp: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 04:08:29 UTC

Code: 2104
    Category: InitializeError
    Message: Could not download the Silverlight application. Check web server settings

Line: 54
    Char: 13
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.voqix.com/SilverlightApplication2TestPage.html"

Does this mean that MIME types must be added? If so how can I go about doing that?

Thanks again,
    Tony

5. Update Part 2:

Using IIS 7 Manager I added the extension .wsx, and its MIME type as "application/octet-stream", and its Entry Type as "Local".

Is this correct? (I still cannot access my playlist). Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Tony

6. Ray

Ray

Give us a URL to look at and instructions on how we can replicate the error on our end.