File/Folder permissions

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by jimnorth55, Aug 29, 2010.

1. I am migrating several sites to Winhost. On my old host, there was a "File Manager" which allowed permission settings for files and folders to be modified (e.g. IUSR_... ). So far, I have not been able to find out how to accomplish this here on Winhost. I have installed an used the IIS7 Manager, but don't see anything there. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Ray

Ray

What kind of permission do you need to set? By default ASP.Net IUSR already has full read and write permission to the root and all the folders and files within it.

3. Ah.. But I need to restrict permissions. There are both folders and individual files for which I need to set read-only permissions.

4. Ray

Ray

5. This doesn't quite cut it, for two reasons. First, I don't see any way to do asp.net style access control on a single file, only entire folders. Second, I don't want a Username / Password dialog to pop up. I simply want to mark a file as read-only, in the same way that you can right-click on a file on your local Windows hard drive, select Properties, select Security tab, and assign permissions to a specific user.

This type of system level permissions control has been available on both of my previous web hosting platforms.

6. Ray

Ray

Unfortunately we do not have this feature. However, you can try creating a support ticket and request the custom permission you are looking for. The support staff should be able to manually set it for you.