Will MYSQL become available

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by b3nj1m4n, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Do you have any plans to install MySQL?

If so, when?

2. Ray

Ray

I'm afraid not. We have focused our resources, efforts, and expertise on MS products such as MS SQL 2008.

3. FredC

FredC Winhost Staff

why in the world would people want to use MySQL with an ASP.NET application?????

4. Gofer01

Gofer01 Amateur Web Application Developer

Because some commercial application uses MySQL databases. we as costomers that buy those applications has no say so on databases they use in there applications.

For example why did you select this forum PHP web application. One of your co-workers think this forum application is the best. Well I disagree with him on this view of his. As a company dealing with ASP.NET you should have installed a ASP.NET forum application.

What I'm trying to get across is sometimes we don't have a choice on SQL or MySQL databases the author of the web application makes the choice for us little guys. We are stuck on thier choices

5. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

We would encourage everyone interested in apps that only use MySQL to contact the people that make the app and ask them when they will support MS SQL.

6. That's like saying if I work at the Ford plant I can't drive a Mercedes Benz. Or a truck driver can't deliver Ford cars to a dealership unless they haul them with a Ford truck. What sensible business would impose such unnecessary limitations on themselves?

Just because this forum uses a MySQL database, don't take that to mean that the developers and system administrators here love MySQL. They don't. Your personal preferences for forum software aside, this is the best tool for the job, and we have experience administrating it. That was all that we considered.

7. Gofer01

I tryed that. They ended up trying to sell me thier Linux Web Hosting Service for $44.95 a month. Of course this uncludes thier shopping cart...

The no way I going to a Linux Web Server :mad:

I rather use amazons, google, yahoo, or PayPal free shopping carts with there limitation then go to a Linux Web Server ;). I'm trying to find a service that only sells MySQL database services

8. For every PHP/MySQL application there is an app exatly the same in ASP.NET/MSSQL why not just get the ASP.NET one?

Just look harder :)

9. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Even if the app vendor doesn't make a MS SQL version right away, it still is important to let them know that you think they should create a version supporting MS SQL. They won't put any effort into it without knowing that they can get more marketshare by supporting MS SQL.

10. chuckle

The same principle is applying here. There is a customer requesting something from your services that they wish you had. Your reluctance to respond positively is kind of telling. Although I'm not a huge Linux/PHP fan, my client desires a PHP blog installation that uses MySQL. So I'm throwing my 2 cents out there as a requested service. (GoDaddy does it by the way) Unfortunately I have to now tell them that I chose a hosting provider that has limitations. Maybe that's my bad. I'm hoping you guys can figure out a way to support mysql apps. I hear it's not too bad.
    thanks.

11. curtis

curtis Winhost Staff

Yes, that is correct. Customers should chime in if they would like to have mysql services here. We stated why we don't offer mysql right now. We never said we will never offer mysql. But in the forseeable future, mysql is not something in our plans. Mysql is on our list of future things to consider - it's not something we are jumping to do today. We are just being honest.

We're planning to do a survey sometime next month and ask what kinds of things customers would like. So please, make sure to chime in on that.

As for Godaddy, of course they offer mysql - they try to offer everything. If you need mysql, then you can try them out.

12. Gofer01

I rather use SQL and ASP.NET. but there some cheap and good applications out there that uses MySQL. The prices over rides the services. That why most of us uses Winhost services. You offer great services at great prices. Your services can be better if you offer MySQL services.

I be willing to pay more for MySQL serrvices.........

Not for this price. This is a high quality PHP Shopping cart that under $300.00. I seen ASP Carts that has less options going for &1100.00 for a yearly subscription.

This shopping Cart has life time updates. That uses the prefered Merchant gateway that I have.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015